Tuesday, January 15, 2008

2nd Semester Blues

Today is day 2 of the second semester of nursing school. It hasn't been the greatest start to the week. Both mornings were trodden with snow covered roads and stupid drivers. Even though I left early, it apparently wasn't early enough either day. I was 20 minutes late both days. I hate being that person. I have always prided myself on being punctual to school/work and even though I know the last two days have held extenuating circumstances, I still don't want to be that annoying girl that always walks in the door late and disrupts everyone else trying to find her seat. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better drive.

The other thing is that nothing is organized, not too big a difference from last semester, just another annoyance to deal with. They divided us up into different lab groups so we don't get breaks at the same time. I will still see my friends in lecture on Mondays, but I am not in the same clinical group as any of them, so I won't see them any other day. It is a whole new ball game and I have to get used to all new people. I am hoping I will meet someone nice, but the one girl I have already met rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps I did the same to her. I don't know. I just hope there is someone that I can get to know during this stent. I guess in reality though, I am not there to make friends, I am there to become a good nurse so I can have the career I want. Maybe it doesn't matter if I meet anyone new.

The instructors for the clinical part don't seem to know what is going on. They are nice, but the one I had today wasn't familiar with all the types of things we were working with and had to step away to ask someone else questions that even I could answer from having already worked with the stuff. Maybe I am being simple minded, but it seems like as an instructor, you would try to familiarize yourself with the supplies the class is using so you can properly teach.

I realize this is not a positive post. I feel like I should be more positive. All the same, I feel like I want this to be different. Maybe there is a blessing in all these things that seem unruly and chaotic. Maybe there is a lesson I am supposed to learn. Maybe it is okay to have to meet new people and maybe it is okay that the teachers seem a bit off. If nothing else, I know that one of the big keys to being a good nurse is learning to adapt and be flexible to different situations. Perhaps this is an opportunity to do that.

2 comments:

Melba said...

I know I'm late responding to this but I just want you to know I'm thinking about you with all your school transitions this semester. I know it isn't easy but you're going to do great. Just keep in mind what your end result is going to be and the rest will fall into place as it should.

Melba said...

Holly:

Maybe the lesson in this is that you could consider becoming a Nursing Instructor to help fill the void many of the Nursing Schools are facing in finding experienced competent Instructors.

Just an idea about one of many possibilities the future holds for you in Nursing.

Love,
Dad