Monday, May 17, 2010

The winds of change are blowing...

Lots to update...I accepted a new RN position. I'll be working in the CCU at Bixby Medical Center and Herrick Memorial Hospital in Adrian and Tecumseh, respectively.

I am very excited about the new opportunity to learn and grow in my career. I've been thinking a lot about what I want as a nurse lately, and one of the things I am sure of is that I am looking for more relationship centered care. Working in a busy emergency room has been a great experience and one that will take me far in my career. That being said, I am a people person, which is one reason I went into nursing in the first place. The quick in and out of the ER is not where I want to make my whole career. Leaving St. Joe's was not an easy decision and not one that I took lightly or with ease.

There were several perks to accepting the position, for one thing, I will no longer have to commute. Right now, I drive 50 minutes or so to get to work. The shifts I will work in Adrian will be 14 minutes from home, the shifts I work in Tecumseh will be 5 minutes from home. That will be a huge change and something I am definitely looking forward to. The position also has great benefits and salary. All things considered, it wouldn't have made any sense not to accept it.

I have three more shifts to work before my last day, which will be the 22nd of May. It will be bittersweet for me to leave. I have made a lot of really good friends at St. Joe's. I can only hope that my decision to move on will not take me away from those people. I know some of them will slowly fade, but the few close ones I really hope to see every now and then and keep in touch with over time.

I'm nervous about going to a brand new place. I've worked at St. Joe's for 6 years now. Here's to hoping that I've made the right decision and one that I won't regret.

No comments: