Wednesday, June 27, 2007

And so it begins...

It all started last week when I went out to check the mail. In the mailbox, I found a packet from the admissions office at Schoolcraft College. I have been hoping for the arrival of this packet, but since I was only an alternate to start the program this fall, I didn't really think I would get the news until this time next year.

I remember dancing around like a fool at the site of this large envelope with the word 'admissions' stamped on it. As I opened it and began reading through its many pages, it hit me that I am actually starting THIS fall. As in two months from now. Wow...I am scared.

There is so much to do to meet the deadline for the registration lottery, which is July 6. I am already knee deep in the process. I went and viewed my orientation video, took my drug test, picked my preferences for when I have classes, got my physical and MMR (mumps, measles, and rubella) titers drawn and had my TB test. I have to go back to the urgent care tomorrow to have my TB test read and then have a repeat one next week. Then I have to submit my whole packet, sign authorizing a criminal background check, and provide proof that I am CPR certified. Once all that is done, my name will be placed in the lottery and I will then find out what rotation I have for classes and clinicals. Then it will be time to buy books, order uniforms and start classes August 29!!

I must say, even though I am overwhelmed with everything that has to be done, I am so glad that I get to start this year. Provided I am successful, I will graduate in May of 2009. Then I will be eligible to take the NCLEX exam, which is the national board exam. If I pass that, I will officially be an R.N.

It will be a lot of work, but I know if I stay focused, I can and will do it.

2 comments:

Melba said...

Holly,

Cool to see you here on blogger! I know you are going to make an AWESOME nurse someday! Even though the road seems long from where you are, it will all happen fast. You know we are here for you whenever you need us!

Melba

Melba said...

Holly,
I like your blog and and really proud of the progress you are making toward your career in Nursing.
Keep up th good work, we're all behind you.

Love,
Dad