Thursday, January 24, 2008

Nothing to do with nursing or school...

This doesn't have a thing to do with nursing or school. It has to do with Jason; the love of my life, my better half, my partner in crime...I wonder what else I can come up with to call him...hmmm, probably lots of things. Anyway, on to what I came here to write about in the first place...

Wednesday, he had to go have a pre-employment physical because he got voted onto the Tecumseh Fire Department for their paid-on call program (great news). The doctor at the physical informed him that he has a "significant and in no way subtle" heart murmur. =0 They also told him that he was on a medical hold until he followed up with his own doctor.

So today, we went to see Dr. Cicone. The good doctor did confirm that Jason has a small murmur, but he said it was in no way significant. Apparently, it is very slight. We were told that there could be a small hole in one of the walls of his heart or a leaky valve. Dr. Cicone also said it shouldn't be anything that will prevent him from doing his fire fighting work, but before we will know for sure, he will have to go have an electrocardiogram and some routine blood work. During the ECG, they will take multiple pictures of his heart...all the walls and all the valves and see exactly what is happening in there. (Thank God for today's technology!!!) According to the doc, Jason will probably have to be followed by a cardiologist and have an ECG once a year to make sure nothing is changing, but is shouldn't keep him from normal every day activities. From what I understand, if things change as he gets older, he might have to have a bypass or valve replacement (hence the yearly ECG). Dr. Cicone doesn't think that will be any time soon. His words were "20 or 30 years from now it might become something we have to deal with."

Naturally, I was concerned at first, but I feel much better now that he has seen his doctor and we know what to do next. As weird as it sounds, I am also happy. Not because he has this condition, but because if he never would have done this Tecumseh Fire thing, then we might never have known. Or we might not have known for a long time. Even though it isn't a dire medical condition, it is something that is good to know about and to keep an eye on.

I am also glad that as long as the ECG/bloodwork comes back okay, he will be able to get the all clear for the fire department and keep on with that. That is the one thing I have seen him be really happy about (work wise) in quite some time. It would really be a shame if he wasn't able to do it.

For now, I must sign off...it is late and I need to sleep.

P.S. Just to throw one nursing thing in here, I got my 100% that I needed on my math test on Wednesday!!! WOOT!

No comments: